Translate

Saturday, October 12, 2013

New Jersey



First, I have to apologize for skipping Nevada by mistake. I guess I need to go back to school so I can learn how to alphabetize correctly!  Nevada will be coming next I promise.

New Jersey is one of the original colonies of the USA.  It is one of the smaller states but has a large population.  New Jersey is across the Hudson River from New York City.  New York State is to the north, Pennsylvania is to the west, and the eastern border is formed by the Atlantic Ocean. 
Vintage view of the Steel Pier and Boardwalk in Atlantic City
Much of New Jersey took a bad beating last year when Hurricane Sandy came ashore and damaged many parts of the East Coast.  Recently a fire, caused by wiring damaged by the hurricane, destroyed much that had been rebuilt at Seaside Heights.  Once again these determined folks are ready to start over and expect to have the area restored within just a couple of months.  Tourists are very welcome to visit the Jersey Shore and help rebuild the state’s tourist economy.  Atlantic City is legendary with its Steel Pier and other attractions.   Seaside Heights and Asbury Park are among many other great beach destinations. New Jersey beach towns are famous for their boardwalks, great beaches, resorts, and all kinds of summer fun.

Cape May Point,  New Jersey
I lived in Trenton for a short time when I was a teenager.  One night in November, a group of us drove down to the shore to enjoy a bonfire and weenie roast on the beach.  Crazy teenagers – we almost froze to death.  None of us was wearing more than light jackets and the breeze off the Atlantic in November after dark is VERY COLD!

My best memory is of the wonderful “tomato pies” we would enjoy after our youth group meetings. To me they were different from the pizza I was familiar with in New England.  They were made with the most wonderful crust, covered with a thick, rich tomato sauce and sprinkled with cheese. It’s been so many years I am not sure if the name was De Lorenzo’s Restaurant, which is one of the premier places in Trenton, but the tomato pies were The Best. 

1957 Postcard showing the night view of the Steel Pier
One other memory from that time was when a friend took me to Seaside Heights to the amusement park there.  I think he knew I was afraid of heights and didn’t like roller coasters, but he asked me to go on the Wild Mouse with him.  I had no idea that it was one of the scariest roller coaster type rides at that time.  Naturally, our car got stuck at the top where it felt like the only thing under the car is 100 feet of air and the ocean.  I don’t think I talked to him for a long time after that.

One place that I would really like to see in Jersey City is the Memorial to 9/11 Victims called The Empty Sky Memorial.  So many people who live in New Jersey work in New York City so they were affected very much by the tragic event.  We all felt like our hometown had been attacked even those who have never been to New York City.

The Lambertville House, vintage postcard view
I would also like to stay at The Lambertville House which was built in 1812 and has been in continuous operation since then.  The entire small city of Lambertville is a National Historic District with more than 600 Victorian structures and would be an interesting place to tour.  Famous colleges like Rutgers and Princeton are just two of the many higher education institutions in New Jersey.  There are many other places to see – barrier Islands and beach towns, cities with museums, art galleries, theaters, great restaurants and so much more.  Visit their website to find your favorite places http://www.visitnj.com,

No comments:

Post a Comment