Translate

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Good Bye!

Utah sunset scene

I really didn't think I was going to finish this.  The more I posted, the more I realized how little I really knew about many of the states.  I traveled quite a bit with my parents when I was a child but that was so long ago, many of my memories are now just blurs.  I have traveled some in recent years but many parts of this country I have never seen and some only briefly while on our way to somewhere else.  I hope this has helped at least one person find a spot that they want to visit.  

Rocky Mountains - Colorado



Any way you want to look at it, this is one really BIG country with lots to see!  Since 9/11 many states have developed their tourist industry and more Americans are traveling "at home" than ever before.  No matter where you are living or visiting, there are a multitude of places to visit, sights to see, adventures to be enjoyed. Our land itself provides venues for every kind of outdoor sport.  From beach to mountain top, with rivers, lakes and streams, winding trails, bike lanes and unexplored wilderness areas, we have much to choose from.

Each little town or city has their own artsy area, their own  theater group, their own hot spots for night life and there is a restaurant almost everywhere you look.  Museums showcase everything from historical events to the latest kids toys.  Amusement parks have sprouted all across this land with new twists to every kind of ride.  Our highway system allows travelers to cross this country in a short period of time.  There are many state and local roads that are scenic byways for those who have the time to enjoy one area on a closer level. Each state and many cities have a website where you can be an armchair traveler even if you are unable to actually travel by plane, train, car or ship.

Midwest farm scene


Armchair traveling can be lots of fun.  I have been a member of a marvelous online group for several years now. http://www.postcrossing.com  is a free website for those who would like to send and receive postcards from all over the world.  Just register and you can begin meeting people from everywhere.  It takes only a few minutes and a little money for stamps and postcards to get a view of another place and you might make a friend or two.. 

Old Mill -North Little Rock, Arkansas


This is the land of plenty and I hope we Americans can always remember to share it joyfully with the rest of the world.  We forget sometimes that our kind of freedom is not enjoyed everywhere, that grocery stores with wide selections are not available in some other locations, that our way of life is not always accepted by everyone and that we need to be less wasteful of our natural resources.   We are a country formed mainly by immigrants but we sometimes forget to make newcomers feel welcome.  Since 9/11 our welcoming arms have become less open and we have become less trusting of others.  In my view these are sad consequences of the 9/11 attacks.  
Louisiana morning


 This page shows photos I have taken in various places rather than the postcards I usually use.  If you have comments, I am not sure I activated the site correctly so you can just send me an email at maryjane496@gmail.com  .


No comments:

Post a Comment