Translate

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Delaware

This project is beginning to make me wonder if I really know what I’m talking about.  I feel like I am completely failing on this state.  It’s not the state – it’s me.  I’m sorry to mess this one up so bad.  It has taken me so long because I keep drawing a blank when I try to figure out what to write.   I honestly don’t know enough to tell you anything.
I have driven through Delaware many times but the only time I actually was”there” was when my Dad had to attend a meeting of some kind at Dover Air Force Base when I was about 13.  (60 years ago!)  I was at that miserable stage when nothing was interesting to me and I was just aggravated and wanted Dad to hurry so we could go home.  Therefore, I have no real impression of Delaware that can tell you anything you can’t figure out for yourself.  Below are just a few things that might begin to give you a picture of Delaware. 
Fun Map of Delaware
 Delaware is the second smallest of the United States, just a bit larger than Rhode Island.  At its narrowest spot, it is only 9 miles wide (14 kilometers).  It is not quite 100 miles (about 154 kilometers) from North to South and is only 35 miles or 56 kilometers at the widest point from West to East.  In this compact state are 900,000 people making it the sixth most populous state. 
Its unique location allows Delaware to have both fresh and salt water beaches along with all kinds of water sports.   Beaches and summer water sports are a favorite attraction.
The second longest twin span suspension bridge in the world is the Delaware Memorial Bridge.
There is no commercial air service in the state because it is close enough to other airports that it is not necessary to provide this service locally.  Passengers normally fly out of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania  or Washington, D. C.
The World Championship Punkin Chunkin Contest is an annual event along with other unique fairs and festivals.  This is televised and is a fun event because it is so unusual.  Contestants build all kinds of machinery to throw their pumpkin as far as possible.  That means catapults, cannons and other engineering contraptions. 

Zwaanendaek Museum in Lewis, Delaware
Built to celebrate the Dutch settlement here in 1631.

Dover Air Force Base is the entry point for deceased members of the military service fallen in  the line of duty.
The state has developed several self tours depending upon your particular interest.  You can try out the Geocaching Trail, The Wine and Ale Trail, History Trail or the Culinary Trail.  All of these are shown in detail on the Delaware tourism site located at:


No comments:

Post a Comment